Steek Alert

I took a steeking adventure with TC’s Easy Top-Down Raglan Knitalong sweater from this past fall. She decided that she prefers a cardigan and really, I knew that before I even made the sweater. She has always adored cardigans both zipped up and buttoned up.

The other thing is that I shortened the sleeves to 3/4 length by her request.

The best part? Now we can share! I made a video of the cutting of the sweater to steek. I read all kinds of stuff on steeking and I watched a video about steeking, too. Click here to see the instructional video on steeking I watched before steeking my sweater. Here’s what happened:

16 Responses to “Steek Alert”

1. January 31, 2011 at 11:31 am Carisa says:

I am in AWE. That looks fantastic, but would have scared me to death.

2. January 31, 2011 at 11:31 am Sara in WI says:

I love it! Thanks for the video, too!
    Sara

3. January 31, 2011 at 12:04 pm Jeannette Pirkle says:

Steeking always scared me. That actually made sense to stabilize it with crochet and then cut the bars. You worked so hard on that hoodie but the end result in the cardigan is wonderful. Now she can wear it for spring and fall again for a bit too.

4. January 31, 2011 at 12:41 pm Connie says:

Wow!!! All I can say is how brave you are!! Great job! Thanks for sharing! Maybe I’ll give steeking a try sometime this year.

5. January 31, 2011 at 1:45 pm Katie says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your sweater modifications!!! I’m making the Alberta vest by Jared Flood for my hubby right now, so you couldn’t have better timing on the steeking video. I’ve never done it before and am getting scared ;o)

6. January 31, 2011 at 3:24 pm mary g says:

I have to admit I was sweating for you. I have never done anything like this in all the years I have knitted.

7. January 31, 2011 at 7:01 pm Alice says:

I’m still holding my breathe! But, I love the outcome and your bravery!!

8. February 1, 2011 at 11:30 am Elizabeth says:

WOW!! So brave! Thanks for sharing the video with us!

9. February 2, 2011 at 5:32 pm Elise says:

Thanks for such an awesome youtube reference and video! I have been wanting to do this for so long without a sewng machine, but getting clear instructions for the crochet technique has been difficult. Yuor references has made me want to just jump right in and do it! I can’t wait!

10. March 24, 2011 at 4:08 pm Patricia says:

• March 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm Patricia says:

sorry for the double comment! :)

11. March 24, 2011 at 4:24 pm Patricia says:

Haha! Turns out I would’ve preferred a cardigan too! My Top Down Raglan has just been sitting in the closet. Now I’m thinking about steeking it, thanks for the info and demo! Such a great soulution so all of that hard work isn’t for nothing. I wonder what you would do if you had done the garter stitch neckline and around the botttom? Pull it out first?

• March 25, 2011 at 11:50 am sanderson says:

I did do that. I just cut right through it.

12. November 22, 2011 at 1:15 am Kater says:

This just blew my mind. Wow!

13. December 21, 2011 at 12:57 pm Marjory Wheater says:

stupefaction goombay murdstone Concetta breese veruca husk camembert tot