Quick Update

I have a quick update for you on this good Sunday morning. The hood is finished. TC is wearing a large bun on the back of her head which is pulling the hood back a bit. A big bun on the back of your head isn’t the best hairdo for hood wearing. The raglan is really looking great. I could call it quits at this point but this girl has a tall order. Here is what else she suggested at this try on session.

1) TC’s decided she would like a couple inches added to the ribbing at the bottom edge of the body. She raised her arms way over her head to pull the sweater up at the waist and said, “See?” I had to laugh. How often to you stretch and raise your arms straight up above your head? Not often in my estimation. I obliged.

2) She wants 9-inch ties done in Grass with multi-colored poms at the ends, just decorative not functioning so as to cinch the hood. That will be easy.

3) Plus, she still wants that pocket. We discussed different types of pockets, two side, one side, straight up and down, slanted, or one kangaroo or sweatshirt style pouch in the center front. And….she has decided on the kangaroo pouch.

Coming right up! It’s so fun to make TC a sweater all her own with her chosen design elements. She loves seeing her sweater come to fruition. I am truly enjoying this whole thing to the fullest.

I have already pulled out the bound off edge on the bottom of the body and added on two more inches. I think this will only be good so she can wear it longer. Now there are 3-inches of rib at the body edge. I have one green tie completed. I am hoping to get the ties and pocket tackled today. It may or may not happen as Sundays tend to take their own course.

Plus, you honestly wouldn’t believe the amount of laundry I have piling up. I’d much rather knit all day but unfortunately people do need clean clothes around here. What a demanding family (just kidding).

On a side note, I have to say that I never tire of knitting with Spud & Chloë Sweater. It is one gorgeous, functional, soft and smooshy yarn!  And the colors? The best.

I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

16 Responses to “Quick Update”

1. September 26, 2010 at 10:09 am Kathy says:

I think her ideas are spot on! You’re going to have a new pattern that everybody is going to want to copy. Especially those cuffs! I showed my neice and she loved that part of the sweater! She said it was “sick” and I think that’s a good thing lol.

• September 26, 2010 at 11:54 am sanderson says:

awesome!

2. September 26, 2010 at 10:58 am Julie says:

That is so cute! Sweater and model!

3. September 26, 2010 at 11:49 am Kelly L says:

The sweater looks great! Kangaroo pockets are the best!! Can’t wait to see it.

4. September 26, 2010 at 1:13 pm dina says:

I’m going to have to agree. The teenaged girls in my life are going to want at least one of these. TC design preferences are spot-on. What a talented young lady!

Can’t wait to see the finished product! :)

5. September 26, 2010 at 4:08 pm Amy Samin says:

The sweater is wonderful (and so is TC)! I am itching to order some Spud & Chloe Sweater…soon, very soon!

6. September 26, 2010 at 4:20 pm Katie says:

TC is one lucky lady!!!

7. September 26, 2010 at 4:42 pm Jeanie Babbage says:

How fun! On a side note: My kids started doing yheir own laundry at 11 and 14. I had surgery and could carry in up and down stairs for several weeks. I never took the job back. Years later when I was in nursing school I mentioned to a friend that hub was only one in house not doing his own laundry, he started then. Just saying! ;-)

8. September 26, 2010 at 6:45 pm Brenda Jones says:

TC is a lucky young lady. By the way, does TC also knit?

• September 26, 2010 at 7:02 pm sanderson says:

yes, she does:)

9. September 26, 2010 at 11:30 pm Kim Fluck says:

That sweater is really shaping up! It just keeps getting better and better with all the new creative design elements. I love the aqua blue color especially! Not only is it a great looking sweater, but it is so cool that your daughter has been able to have input into the design. My son had me make a hat for him last spring and it was a hoot. http://kimsknittingkorner.blogspot.com/2010/04/hat-for-ginger.html

• September 27, 2010 at 7:07 am sanderson says:

Love the hat and I love your son’s attitude even better. Good job, mom.

10. September 27, 2010 at 7:10 am Elizabeth says:

I love this. You have inspired me to share this story and all the lovely photos (which I’ve been enjoying all the way along) with my 2 daughters. I’ve yet to knit sweaters for them, tho’ I would love to – mostly because I’m afraid they won’t like what I make them and all that effort will be wasted. This, of course, from experience shopping for (and, yes, even with) them. (They are very particular. As they should be. I mean, aren’t I?) Anyway, watching you knit this gorgeous/cool sweater for The Collector has me inspired to try. And by knitting top-down they would be able to try on their sweaters and change their minds and no harm done. Thank you!!

11. September 27, 2010 at 7:37 am Ana says:

I want to thank you for this whole lesson! I feel as if you and Wendy are close by as we progress. I have to tell you that, at first, I “watched” and studied all the notes. Last week I decided to plunge in and try this…it IS a little scary.
    I decided to knit a customized sweater for one of my boys. This boy has unique features; he has battled severe scoliosis since infancy. He is now 12 and after many surgeries to correct the life-threatening curves, he still does have curvature. He’s long waisted but ‘skinny’ everywhere else. Store bought sweaters and jackets ALWAYS ride up in the back and the sleeves are never long enough.
    I’m working down to my target raglan length now, BUT I’m inserting short rows in key places! Those key places being where his spine curves most obviously. I am constantly trying this on him, but he is so excited!! I am, too. This sweater will NOT ride up in the back and those sleeves will be JUST RIGHT.
    So….no better thing than to go to church with my family, play a mean game of Mexican Train, eat brownies made by my 10 year old and knit while waiting for my turn!
    Thank you both so much! Please know I am so very grateful…..
    A fellow knitting Mom,
    Ana

• September 27, 2010 at 8:05 am sanderson says:

Hi Ana,
      I am very grateful you wrote and told me your sweater story. I am thrilled that it is working out and that you are enjoying your sweater knitting.

oh, and you are welcome:)
      susan

12. September 28, 2010 at 10:35 am Shelly says:

I love the thumb holes! I have to put them in every sweater I knit for my kids too. Funny how they are….