Part 5 – Easy Top-Down Raglan Knitalong

Here are my post-snack after school photos of TC trying on her raglan with a sleeve for the first time. Success!

The body length is just perfect and the sleeve is now to the point where I’ve started the ribbing to match the bottom edge in the Splash colorway only. She wants a long extended cuff that starts a little higher up on the arm so that’s why I am starting the ribbing at this point.

The fit is pure heaven! Whoot!

I loved her modeling yesterday. I was smart to wait until after the muffin and juice time because she went to town on posing for me. She is so fun.

Goofy little thing. Note the sleeved arm with her hand behind her head.

Okay, so let’s talk about that neckline a little bit. For TC’s raglan I will be adding a hood which I will post about when I get to it so we’ll put that on hold for now.

In Wendy Bernard’s book, Custom Knits, on pp. 154-55, the final step 10 says to add a clever neck edge at the end. That’s it. All you are doing here is picking up the stitches around the neck edge and adding on whatever edging you have chosen and then binding off. Simple as that.

Here is exactly what I did for the Grape Jelly Raglan for the neckline edging.

Neck Edging for the Grape Jelly Raglan:

With 16-inch circular needles in US size 7 and starting at the left front raglan line (this refers to the left side when you have the sweater on) I reattached the working yarn and picked up stitches as follows:

12 stitches down the left front

12 stitches across the front cast on stitches

12 stitches up the right front

10 stitches across the right sleeve

30 stitches across the back

10 stitches across the left sleeve

86 stitches total are now on my needles.

Place a stitch marker on the first stitch and work in the round.

Continue as follows:

Rnd 1: purl

Rnd 2: knit

Rnd 3: purl

Rnd 4: knit

Bind off loosely.

Note: It is very important to bind off loosely for the neck edge so the sweater will fit comfortably over your head. Some knitters like to go up a couple of needle sizes to work the bind off at this point. I just make a conscious effort to be relaxed and keep the yarn loose while binding off. You don’t want it to look sloppy loose just relaxed so it can stretch.

Cut the yarn and pull the end through the remaining stitch. Weave in all ends to the inside and trim.

You are officially done!!!! Give your sweater a blocking if you choose to do so. I gave mine a good steaming is all and let it dry flat.

Then throw it on and run out the door with your head held high!

By the way, when I get to the neckline point for TC’s raglan I’ll see if I can get someone around here to video me picking up the stitches for the hood and the neckline and I’ll share it on here. Is that something you are interested in? My former videographer has gone and left me for college – the nerve of him. He had the steadiest hand, too. Maybe TC will have to become my new video manager…..

14 Responses to “Part 5 – Easy Top-Down Raglan Knitalong”

1. September 10, 2010 at 11:06 am Paula Bannon says:

I would love to see a video on how to add a hood to a sweater! :) Well done on the stripe, by the way. It looks fantastic!

2. September 10, 2010 at 12:54 pm Meghann says:

I would love a video! The video tutorials you used to do on your other blog are always my favs. I refer to them often!

3. September 10, 2010 at 5:31 pm Enid Shaw says:

both the model and project are lovely!!!!

4. September 11, 2010 at 3:08 am Eliana Bahri says:

I’d love to see that video. TC will have to ask her brother for a few pointers, so she can get promoted to videographer C:

~ Eliana ~

5. September 11, 2010 at 9:19 am Brenda Jones says:

I am also a fan of Wendy’s “Custom Knits”, and I have really enjoyed your visual version of her instructions. I am hooked on your blog, too. One of the best ones I read.

• September 11, 2010 at 10:04 am sanderson says:

thank you!

6. September 11, 2010 at 2:52 pm Stacia says:

I read your blog, but have never commented. I just have to say that I LOVE this sweater you are making your daughter. I can’t wait to see the finished project with the hood and long cuffs. Then I might have to cast on for my own…

7. September 12, 2010 at 5:44 pm Dawne says:

I would love a video to help me visualize the hood section. I think it will help a lot of people feel better about trying a hoodie on their first sweater. So very kind of you to offer!

I would also be interesting in notes on making the thumb hole in the sleeve.

I’ve been learning so much Susan, thank you!

8. September 13, 2010 at 7:43 pm Ana says:

I’ve really enjoyed this knit-a-long/tutorial. I’m not making it, but definitely want to in the future. One question: Has short-row shaping for fuller busts been discussed? Will lessons on short-row shaping be shared? I would love to be able to custom design a sweater for myself.

Thank you!
    Ana

• September 14, 2010 at 6:35 am sanderson says:

There was something on the forum about darts for the bust but other than that no.

9. September 14, 2010 at 5:36 pm Sandra says:

How pretty!!! (oyes and the sweater too!) You poor thing, having those silly knitty girls make you crawl into that partially completed WIP-HOWEVER did you get out of that??? LOL!

LOVE your blog!♥♥♥
    Sandra

10. September 20, 2010 at 7:09 am Michelle Wilczewski says:

Hi. I love this sweater. I am a new knitter and some patterns I look at leave me feeling a bit intimidated, this one does not. Did you say it would be out in pattern form soon? Do you know when? Thanks so much. Michelle

• September 20, 2010 at 8:08 am sanderson says:

soon!

11. December 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm Tiffani Holtzclaw says:

I always want to go to america in particulary in California. It’s one of my dream. I like the fact… the people can dream and do what they want. The limit is the sky. So lucky pepole who live there. Here is not the same. You have to be so… how I can say that.. So realist and serious. It’s a little sad. But anyway I continu beleving in my dreams.