Butterflies

I have some tiny butterflies to share with you today. My daughter is in love with this sweet project. The butterfly on the right above is made out of Sweater and the butterfly on the left is made out of Fine. Knitting a butterfly is the perfect tiny summer project to give you a bit of a quick boost. The butterflies I made are placed on I-cord rings but you could stitch a butterfly on a sweater, on a hair-tie or barrette or on a scarf or the cuff of a mitten or kids’ sock. The possibilities are endless. It is a great little user-upper of odds and ends, too.

You only need tiny amounts of yarn in any of our cheerful colorways so just pick and choose as you see fit.

Yarn: Small amounts of Sweater (our worsted) or Fine (our fingering weight)

Finished measurement: 1-inch for the Sweater butterfly, 3/4- inch for the Fine

Needles:

For the Sweater butterfly: US size 5, set of 2 double-pointed needles

For the Fine butterfly: US size 2, set of 2 double-pointed needles

Exact gauge is not important.

Materials:

Ruler, yarn needle, scissors

Body:

With the center body color cast on 3 stitches. Work in I-cord for 1-inch for the Sweater and 3/4 inch for the Fine.

Next row: slip 1, k2tog, pass the slip stitch over the second stitch and off the needle (1 st remains)

Cut the yarn and pull through the remaining stitch.

Wing:

With the selected wing color pick up 5 stitches along one side of the I-cord body.

Row 1: knit

Row 2: kfb, k3, kfb (7 sts)

Row 3: knit

Row 4: k3, bind off 1 stitch, k2

Row 5: k2tog, k1, pass the first stitch over the second stitch and off the needle. Cut the yarn.

Reattach the yarn at the center and continue on with the remaining stitches as follows:

Weave in all ends to the back side of the butterfly and trim.

Repeat the wing on the other side.

Ring:

Cast on 2 stitches in the selected ring color. Ideally, measure the finger of the person wearing the butterfly ring. If not, the rings I made are 2 1/2 inches long.

Next row: k2tog (1 st remains)

Cut the yarn and pull through the remaining stitch. Using a yarn needle, stitch the ends of the I-cord together to form a ring.

Using the same end on a yarn needle take a few stitches to attach the butterfly to the ring. Weave in all ends on the back side of the butterfly and trim.

That’s it! Have fun with your tiny butterflies!

Click here for the Ravelry pattern page for Butterflies!

I bound off the body on the Grape Jelly Top Down Raglan! Will share soon!

Now the sleeves!!!

One more quick thing, I was interviewed on the Math 4 Knitters Crafty Living podcast show #30 and talked a bit about Spud & Chloë if you are interested in listening. Click here to listen or you can download from itunes as well.

33 Responses to “Butterflies”

1. July 26, 2010 at 11:52 am anne maskell says:

Oh they are cute! Thanks for sharing!

2. July 26, 2010 at 12:39 pm Renee says:

the butterflies are soooo cute. now to find some time!

3. July 26, 2010 at 1:31 pm Jeanie Babbage says:

These are just too cute! I can see clouds of butterflies adorning all the neighborhood fingers and toes!

4. July 26, 2010 at 4:12 pm Nancy Valadez says:

Too cute. I just made a little summer hat for a friend who adopted a 2 year old little girl. Been looking for something to dress it up a bit. I think these are going to be just perfect to finish it off. Thanks Susan

5. July 26, 2010 at 5:56 pm Terrie says:

The butterflies are so adorable!! Thanks for sharing :)

6. July 26, 2010 at 9:09 pm Mandie says:

I love this!! They’re so cute, I can see these going into Christmas stockings!!! Thank you for these gorgeous little creations

7. July 27, 2010 at 12:36 pm Kim says:

These butterflies are a fantastic idea! Thx for sharing the pattern. I know a couple of little girls who would LOVE these rings! As you may already know, the butterfly is a symbol of independance (note the word “dance” in former word) and freedom. Love it, like Renee (above) says, ‘now to find some time’! Indeed. xo

8. July 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm Linda M says:

I LOVE these butterflies and make to make a bunch. What does “kfb” mean in the directions? Many thanks.

• July 27, 2010 at 6:36 pm sanderson says:

Knit in the front and back of the same stitch = kfb

9. July 28, 2010 at 7:07 am Sandy Goodchild says:

These are Adorable.. I will have to make some for my daughter, she calls them prettys.

10. July 29, 2010 at 12:54 pm Jennifer Tan - Syrendell says:

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this. Love your blog. :)

11. July 29, 2010 at 9:12 pm Judy says:

Very cute! Thanks!

12. July 30, 2010 at 9:09 am Cathy Goldman says:

I love this pattern…well I love all of your patterns. IS there a printer friendly way to get the patterns?????

• July 30, 2010 at 9:44 am sanderson says:

For this pattern and the Blooms pattern I just wrote them on the blog. All of the other patterns are in pdf format.

Just copy and paste into your word program and print! Easy, easy!

13. August 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm Maggie King says:

I am unable to print the directions for the butterfly rings. Am I missing something? Thanks, M.King

• August 5, 2010 at 7:39 pm sanderson says:

For this pattern and the Blooms pattern I just wrote the pattern on the blog because it is so short. All of the other patterns are in pdf format.

Just copy and paste the pattern into your word program and print! Easy, easy!

14. August 26, 2010 at 9:27 pm grace says:

Pretty butterflies. I would just like to know what 1 cord means?

• August 26, 2010 at 9:44 pm sanderson says:

If you google I-cord or go to youtube and search for I-cord you will find lots of information.

15. September 16, 2010 at 5:22 am vale says:

hello, here I happened by chance.
    congratulations for the butterflies are so adorable!

16. May 10, 2011 at 7:40 am Emm@MillOutletsCoUk says:

Thanks for sharing, these are so cute and make a change from crochet butterflies!

I am featuring this pattern in an upcoming article on our company blog so thought I’d drop a comment to let you know, Emm :)

17. August 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm Jen says:

Can you explain what you mean by: Reattach the yarn at the center and continue on with the remaining stitches as follows. Do you mean tie cut yarn onto the butterfly where you previously bind off a stitch?

• August 9, 2011 at 5:15 pm sanderson says:

Reattach the yarn to the center by either just starting to knit and leaving an end to weave in later or tie the yarn with a half-knot where you are starting to knit again but also leaving an end to weave in later.

18. October 1, 2011 at 12:41 pm poker says:

I have learn a few excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you set to create any such fantastic informative website.

19. October 4, 2011 at 8:00 pm pokerfilm says:

It?s actually a cool and useful piece of information. I?m happy that you shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

20. December 6, 2011 at 4:00 am How To Make Lighted Christmas Glass Blocks says:

obviously like your web site however you have to test the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very troublesome to tell the truth on the other hand I?ll certainly come back again.

21. December 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm Eugene says:

I would like to express my admiration for your kind-heartedness in support of folks who really need guidance on the subject matter. Your special dedication to getting the message all around turned out to be exceedingly insightful and has really empowered somebody just like me to get to their endeavors. Your own warm and helpful tips and hints signifies a great deal a person like me and additionally to my peers. Warm regards; from all of us.

22. December 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm Venus Percifield says:

bzxtubgwbmmfohfpoeifje, free online sports games, IbmiytP.

23. January 9, 2012 at 12:28 am Scrapbooking says:

Hello there, I discovered your site by way of Google at the same time as searching for a related topic, your site came up, it seems to be great. I have added to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

24. January 14, 2012 at 10:11 pm How to cheat on poker, casino, loterry says:

I simply couldn’t go away your web site prior to suggesting that I actually loved the standard info an individual supply in your visitors? Is gonna be back ceaselessly to check up on new posts