Baby Mitts – Free Pattern!

This is the final project using the leftovers from the Dream Catcher Baby Blanket Sweater yarn. The finale pattern is for the sweetest and easiest teeny-tiny baby mittens, the thumbless sort. Be sure to check out the blanket and hat that along with the mitts complete this super-duper baby set:

Dream Catcher Baby Blanket

Dream Catcher Hat

There will plenty of yarn leftover to also make the Jelly Bean Baby Socks if you’d like.

I made them mix and match. I love all sorts of items like socks and mittens that go together but aren’t exactly the same. You can make the pair matching or not. It’s up to you! Here is some information you might like to know about this pattern:

Size: 0-6 months

Note: The mittens can be made larger by increasing the number of stitches by increments of 4 stitches and then adding length as needed.

Yarn: Spud & Chloë Sweater (55% superwash wool, 45% organic cotton; 100 grams/160 yards), small amounts in Pollen #7508, Grass #7502, Splash #7510, Firefly #7505 and Watermelon #7512

Needles: US size 7 double-pointed needles set of 4 or the size needed to obtain the gauge

Gauge: 5 stitches per inch

I always had these little thumbless mitts on my babies when they were tiny but my version always had a string to attach them. I would run the string through the sleeves of their sweater or jacket. Nowadays I am not sure if this is considered safe so I didn’t add a string to the pattern. Mittens on a string sure are cute though.

The Baby Mitts can be made in no time at all. This is an awesome go-to gift item when you need something sweet and handmade but don’t have lots of time to get it done.

Sometimes I look at the string and sticks in front of me and I can’t believe all of the cool stuff that can be made from such simple materials. That’s what makes knitting so extraordinary. The sky is the limit.

Have fun with your tiny Baby Mitts, Knitters.

Click here to download the free pattern for Baby Mitts!

Click here for the Ravelry project page for the Baby Mitts!

23 Responses to “Baby Mitts – Free Pattern!”

1. May 24, 2010 at 7:25 am Misty says:

Thanks for the pattern, Susan! I’ve got to make a pair or two of these right away–everyone is expecting a baby these days! :)

2. May 24, 2010 at 11:16 am Terrie says:

These are super cute! Thanks for sharing this pattern, as well as the matching blanket and hat :)

3. August 3, 2010 at 7:39 pm Xochitl Knolton says:

Great Read and information! I’ll be sure to put it to good use.

4. November 13, 2010 at 11:59 am Anneliese says:

Thanks for this darling pattern! Definitely seems a go-to for baby gifts. I can’t wait to make some for my 2-month-old and some for gifts!

5. December 29, 2010 at 11:15 pm Kare says:

Can’t seem to download the pattern–what am I doing wrong?

• December 30, 2010 at 9:58 am sanderson says:

hmmm… i just clicked on the link at the bottom of the post and the pattern popped right up so it is working fine. i am not sure.

6. January 27, 2011 at 5:34 pm Kristin says:

This pattern is so cute! My granddaughter is now 8 months old and lives on the east coast where they got 19 inches of snow this week! I know what I will do with yarn from the Camp Hoodie knit along colorwork now!

7. March 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm morgan says:

oh my goodness these are so cute my little cousin will love these!

8. March 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm Linda P. says:

I like the soft colors you used here. I bet they look extremely cute when your baby wore them.

9. March 30, 2011 at 1:19 am Stacy says:

Hii. I was just wondering how big these are when laid flat. I compared mine to store-bought mitts, and these are tiny! Maybe it’s due to my gauge…

• March 30, 2011 at 8:36 am sanderson says:

So if you take the gauge at 5 sts per inch and you have 20 stitches that would make a 4 inch circumference of the mitt. If you lay it flat it would be half of 4 inches which is 2 inches across in width. If you measure the length from the cast on edge and you get about 6 rows per inch or so the mitten should be right about 3.5 inches in length.

10. November 12, 2011 at 10:45 pm Genaro Ferris says:

Most heavy duty trailer hitches are developed using cutting edge computer aided models and fatigue stress testing to ensure optimal strength. Share new discoveries together with your child and keep your child safe by purchasing the correct style for your lifestyle by following the Perfect Stroller Buyers Guideline.

11. November 18, 2011 at 11:24 am Bexy Bisch says:

Hi, I’m having trouble getting mine to be the right shape. I want them to have that sort of ping pong paddle shape with the ribbing coming in more than the flat knitted section but mine are more like large thimble shapes, the bottom being the widest point. I tried increasing and decreasing the stitched in different places but after 3 attempts I thought I should ask for some help. I have been using 3.5cm (i think that’s a US 7.5 or 8) needles so mine are a bit smaller. I think my difficulty is getting my ribbing tight enough so it’s stretchy even though I’m knitting as tight as I can.

Any tips?

• November 18, 2011 at 11:24 am Bexy Bisch says:

8) was supposed o be 8 )

12. November 30, 2011 at 9:05 pm Mary says:

I love this little mitten pattern. I’ve made 4 pairs for my grandson who is just a little over 3 months old and they are perfect. His Mom, my daughter, had been looking for mittens for his little hands to no avail. I knitted one pair and we tried them on Darius and they are perfect so I promptly knitted up 3 more pairs. Thank you for the great pattern.

13. December 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm Markus Tenor says:

I believe the American X Gold is $125 a year after the initial year is waived.

14. January 12, 2012 at 8:14 pm bästa xbox spelen says:

Hi excellent weblog, just looking close to some sites, seems an extremely nice system you might be utilizing. I’m presently utilizing Wp for some associated with my sites yet seeking to change one of these to any platform much like your own like a trial work. Something particularly you’ll recommend regarding it?