Dream Catcher Baby Blanket – Free Pattern!

I am excited that the Dream Catcher Baby Blanket free pattern is now available. It is yummy! Here is some information you might like to know about the blanket:

Finished Measurements: 29 inches by 32 ½ inches

Yarn: Spud & Chloë Sweater (55% superwash wool, 45% organic cotton; 100 grams/160 yards), 2 skeins each in Pollen #7508, Grass #7502, Splash #7510, Firefly #7505 and Watermelon #7512

Needles: US size 7 needles or the size needed to obtain the gauge (I used a 24-inch circular to work back and forth for the squares and edging.)

Gauge: 5 stitches per inch

The Dream Catcher looks great on the back of my couch, across the laps of my kids, on the back of a comfy chair….

… and if I had a baby to wrap up, that would be the cutest use of all. The Sweater yarn is washable so there are no worries about the care of this project. This makes it perfect to give as a gift, too.

Here is the  frontside or the right side of the blanket.

Here is the backside or wrong side of the blanket. I think the wrong side looks just as good as the right side. I love all of those seam ridges. I always weave in my ends as I go so when I am done the back looks as good as the front. It’s all neat and tidy and best of all, it’s finished when I finish!

Have fun and keep me posted if you make your own Dream Catcher.

Click here for three video tutorials on seaming the squares for the Dream Catcher Baby Blanket!

Click here for a fun fast-speed 3 minute video set to music of me stitching all of the squares together over several days!

Click here for the Ravelry project page for the Dream Catcher Baby Blanket!

Click here to download the free pattern for the Dream Catcher Baby Blanket!

60 Responses to “Dream Catcher Baby Blanket – Free Pattern!”

1. April 28, 2010 at 5:29 pm Darlene says:

Thanks for providing the free Dream Catcher Blanket pattern. Your instructions are great, and the photos as it goes along will be very helpful. Can’t wait to get the yarn and cast on.

2. April 28, 2010 at 10:01 pm Margo - Orchid Lane Designs says:

I’m so excited to start the blanket! Thanks for making the free pattern!

3. April 28, 2010 at 10:10 pm Brittany says:

I love this! I have started making my own, mine is going to be a lap blanket for our family room! I have been following since the start of the dream catcher…and I am addicted to making mine!!

4. April 29, 2010 at 7:05 am Judy Dienstag says:

Your blanket is not only beautiful but served as inspiration for creating my own. Thanks for issuing the pattern.

5. April 29, 2010 at 7:19 am Anna says:

Love your blog. I started this blanket this week. Completed a few squares. Thank you for this pattern.

6. April 29, 2010 at 9:25 am Patricia says:

This turned out so great! I’m adding it to my To Do list! I love your stuff!!

7. April 29, 2010 at 12:17 pm Tami T says:

Thank you for the pattern. This has become my go to knitting when I just need a break from large projects or in the car waiting for the kids to finish…..
    I’m using up all those odd balls of yarn left from other projects & will find worthy reciepients when each is done.

8. April 30, 2010 at 6:23 am margie says:

Love the blanket and the small toys, Thanks for the patterns..

9. April 30, 2010 at 8:26 am Judy Appelhanz says:

Beautiful! You do such nice work and the colors are so cheery! It’s a rainy day here and those colors are a welcome sight:) Thanks for sharing!
    Judy

10. April 30, 2010 at 9:24 am Kathi Jobson says:

I just have to tell you that I LOVE this blanket, it makes me smile and happy every time I look at it. I followed your whole trip and designing of the blanket. I even got a signed copy of your Itty Bitty Toys from KnittyCity in New York when I was visiting. Love your blog and can’t wait to make this blanket, I’m also going to make the braided scarf pattern, my daughter-in-law fell in love with it. The videos you do are so helpful especially for a new knitter like me.

Kathi

11. April 30, 2010 at 11:31 am Laura Copeland says:

I love this blanket! I have the green squares finished. This will be my take to work project since the squares don’t take up much space in my purse. When finished I’m going to put in storage for my first grandchild! Have a great weekend! Laura (Pink scarf)

12. May 6, 2010 at 9:53 am elsa says:

oh, I’m new to your blog and just love it and this blanket is so pretty! thanks for being so generous and making it free on Ravelry!

13. May 6, 2010 at 9:09 pm Judith says:

This has to be the cutest thing ever – I’m certainly making plans to create my own afghan following your instructions. Thank you for your creativity.

14. July 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm Yolandi says:

I can only do knit and purl stitches. Where can I learn what each abreviation stands for in your pattern. I not sure what *k1 etc means.?

• July 12, 2010 at 3:20 pm sanderson says:

k means knit

k1 means knit one stitch, k4 would mean knit 4 stitches

p means purl

p1 means purl 1 stitch

I am trying to think what else is abbreviated in the pattern but that may be it.

You can find abbreviations for knitting in lots of places online. You could just google it and you’ll find lots of choices. Some of the patterns on this blog also include abbreviations.

15. July 14, 2010 at 9:38 pm Patty says:

I love this pattern and the awesome colors of Spud and Chloe Sweater. I am starting this today to take to the beach and knit. I am thinking about doing a 4 stitch I-cord border. Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

• July 15, 2010 at 7:14 am sanderson says:

My thoughts are, go for it!!!
      Have fun.

• July 16, 2010 at 5:05 am Patty says:

Thanks! I will try the i-cord border when I get that far and let you know how it goes. I will enjoy trying to decide which of the colors to knit the i-cord with! Thanks again for the beautiful pattern and introducing me to Spud and Chloe yarn…my new fav!

16. July 24, 2010 at 12:09 am Sandi says:

I was just wondering if instead of binding off after each square, could you just continue in the next color with the next block? When you are done, then you could just seam the 5 strips, or will this mess up the look of the afghan?

• July 24, 2010 at 7:14 am sanderson says:

Sure! You could do that no problem. It would be just as cute.

17. July 26, 2010 at 8:13 pm Connie says:

Would you recommend this pattern for a beginner?

• July 26, 2010 at 8:59 pm sanderson says:

Sure! I think some squares are easier than others so you could pick and choose!

18. September 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm Amanda says:

Hi, I love the design of this blanket and would like to make it for my daughter’s twin size bed. That is, I’d like to make it large enough to serve as a blanket for the bed. What are your thoughts on making such a large version (other than it taking a long time). Thanks!

• September 20, 2010 at 8:09 am sanderson says:

My thought is, why not? How fun would that be to have a blanket like this on your daughter’s bed! Go for it.

19. September 23, 2010 at 12:06 pm Sandra says:

I have just finished putting all of the squares together and I love it! I made it in a throw size with 6 squares across and 10 squares long. It has taken forever but completely worth all the time. I just need to do the trim but may wait for a week or so. I want to use it now!!

20. October 26, 2010 at 11:42 am Marian says:

I saw this afghan/blanket completed as soon in the pictures, and love it. I will be adding to my list of things to make.

21. December 27, 2010 at 2:20 pm kicheko davis says:

please send me a dream catcher baby blanket pattern, adobe enabled. Thanks

• December 30, 2010 at 9:59 am sanderson says:

I have no idea how to enable the pattern for adobe.

22. December 31, 2010 at 8:49 pm Rachel says:

I have a good friend who knitted this in S&C fall colours for her new baby girl. It’s scrumptious and so cozy!

23. January 29, 2011 at 1:35 am Jenn says:

Thank you for this pattern! This is the first thing beyond a hat and a scarf I have ever knitted (after teaching myself to knit about a year ago!) Thanks for the videos on how to seam all the squares together, I found them VERY helpful!! Do you have a video on how to stitch the border? As a new knitter, I am a little lost! Thanks!

• January 29, 2011 at 6:34 am sanderson says:

I have a video on the sidebar under tutorials about picking up stitches that would be helpful.

24. March 17, 2011 at 2:31 pm lrogers says:

I love this blanket. I’m just learning to knit so I think making these squares will give me great practice in all kinds of stitches.

25. March 31, 2011 at 10:37 pm Betty @ Handbags Discount Codes says:

They look great. The colors are just perfect! Started knitting 3 months ago. this would be a great inspiration work for me. Thanks

26. April 17, 2011 at 11:06 am loreen says:

Looks great I will have to try this. Very colorful.

27. April 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm Cindy Shaw-Wilson says:

Love this pattern!! I have modified it to make an afghan for a single-bed, and would like to post the pattern on Facebook. I’m hoping to recruit fellow knitters to make squares to be combined into blankets for the beds in the substance abuse detox unit where I work in Baltimore City. Each blanket would require 160 squares (10 squares wide by 16 squares long), and would help to brighten up what can be a lonely and scary time for people trying to get off alcohol and other drugs. Who would I need to contact to get this permission?

28. April 27, 2011 at 1:43 pm Beth says:

Beautiful blanket! Thank you for sharing the pattern!

I’d like to make the blanket in one piece by picking up stitches as I go, rather than knitting the squares individually and then sewing them together.

How colorfast is S&C Sweater? Do you think I would encounter any problems with the colors bleeding into each other when I wash it? Any tips/tricks to prevent this from happening?

29. May 5, 2011 at 3:42 pm Pat says:

I love this blanket and the colors. I’m knitting it in rows and added lattice strips around the squares using the cream color. I’m using the seam-as-you-knit method that was in the fall issue of Knit magazine. It’s turning out really pretty; the cream color around the squares makes the colors really “pop.” My squares are a little larger, since I added a garter stitch border around each pattern square. This makes the knitted seam easy to do and when I change colors for the lattice strips, I’m not changing color and pattern on the same row, since the lattice strips are in garter stitch. There’s plenty of yarn to allow for the larger squares and 3 skeins is enough for the lattice strips.

30. July 9, 2011 at 6:42 am Mariana says:

Hi

Just wanted to say that I loved your Dream Catcher Baby Blanket and it was an inspiration for me and my girlfriends.

Me and two girlfriends of mine wanted to knit together a baby blanket for the new born baby of a common friend. I had to teach my friends to knit so we tried your pattern. To me it seamed suitable for beginners.

I wanted to send you a picture with it if you would like to see it. Everything came together pretty good at the end and we were so proud when we finished it. We did not follow your exact model but we inspired from your work and added our touch to it.

Let me know if you would like me to send you a picture with it.

Thank you for sharing your ideas.

• July 9, 2011 at 6:48 am sanderson says:

i’d love to see it!

31. July 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm Caitlin says:

This blanket is adorable! With your permission, I would love to feature it on AllFreeKnitting.com.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Caitlin
    Editor, AllFreeKnitting

32. August 29, 2011 at 9:55 pm Jan says:

I love the look of this blanket, but I couldn’t find a link. Is it still possible to get the pattern?

33. August 31, 2011 at 10:37 am nadia says:

Hi,

I was seeking for some project to use my leftover yarn and thisis great but when I saw your child with the blanket I thought that perhaps you could give me some advice and how to create a dress (or a pullover) out of this one !!! Could be really fun !!!!

34. September 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm Lori Puente says:

Hello, I am also unable to access the pattern. Any suggestions?

35. September 3, 2011 at 9:08 am De says:

Where is the actual patter?

• September 3, 2011 at 11:59 pm Denise Kisel says:

hi….it’s Denise, sorry to be so computer illiterate, but what is a platter?

36. September 3, 2011 at 9:00 pm Denise Kisel says:

Hi, I absolutely love the way the Dream Catcher Baby Blanket looks and I’d love to make it. Unfortunately, I messed around with my new computer(I think I blew my chances of ever getting a laptop). I can’t get my Adobe printer to work. I have no problem printing off my printer, but this blanket needs to be downloaded. Is there anyone who would be willing to e-mail me a copy? I would be so greatful. It is a great looking blanket. If for some reason you can’t e-mail it, my address is Denise Kisel, 15885 Wagon Trail, Peyton, CO. 80831. Thank you

37. September 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm Sarah Goldman says:

I would love to make this free pattern, but darned if I can find it. I belong to Ravelry but have come up empty-handed.

38. September 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm Sarah Goldman says:

Belay my e-mail. I found the link. Thanks for sharing your talent w/me.

39. September 27, 2011 at 5:27 am Short Sleeve Cardigan for Boys says:

Thanks for any other informative website. Where else could I get that kind of info written in such an ideal manner? I’ve a project that I’m just now operating on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such info.

40. November 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm Pauline says:

What a lovely blanket! Could you provide the dimensions for the individual squares?

Thanks.

41. November 6, 2011 at 8:02 pm Alice Lamberger says:

I love the blanket patten. This is my first project after scarves and it is a great one for a beginner. Thanks for sharing it. My husband loves it and is proud of my efforts. Our twin grandsons will love it!!!

42. December 12, 2011 at 9:26 pm Mwihaki says:

Hi..love this pattern!Is it possible to line the back with some soft cotton and bind the edges too with material?Has anyone ever done this

43. January 16, 2012 at 7:01 am Kandi Remiszewski says:

Everyone could have their opinion with this issue, but keep in mind that we must remain optimistic to solve the problem. With Shared Vision, We Work Together for Future Success.

44. April 30, 2010 at 9:48 am sanderson says:

Fun!!! I am glad you stopped by Knitty City, too. Thanks for writing.

45. April 30, 2010 at 9:48 am sanderson says:

The colors are so beautiful in Sweater. I can’t get enough of them:)

46. April 30, 2010 at 9:49 am sanderson says:

you are welcome:)

47. June 2, 2011 at 8:58 am Kay says:

Help! I started the Dream Catcher blanket and am missing a printed page. Need to reprint – but says the web page is not available when I click on the link.