Dream Catcher Blanket Tutorials

I have 3 video tutorials to help you with the seaming of your blanket squares. I share a few tips along the way and here are some of them written out:

1. For this blanket place all of the squares in the same direction, with the cast on edge at the bottom and bind off edge at the top.

2. Use the ends from the cast on and bind off edges placed on a yarn needle to stitch up the squares whenever possible. If there isn’t an end available where you need it for a certain seam use a cut length of the desired color to stitch the seam.

3. Weave in the ends as you go along. Don’t leave all of the ends until the end. You can easily weave the ends in to the seams on the back of the blanket. It is such a treat to have a clean patchwork blanket when you are done with that last seam.

I usually start of the bottom of the blanket and work my way up to the top of the blanket but you can work any direction you’d like.

I work in little time spurts. I will do several seams and then I get up and do something else and then I come back and complete several more. Eventually you end up with a beautiful patchwork blanket. It feels like magic. It is also very motivating when you see several rows stitched together and you realize how gorgeous the blanket is going to be in the end.

Above you can see how I arranged my squares.

Have fun! After I am finished with the seaming I will be back to put a border on the edges that will give the blanket a clean and finished look.

26 Responses to “Dream Catcher Blanket Tutorials”

1. April 19, 2010 at 11:38 am Connie says:

Thanks, Susan, for the wonderful videos. They really help a lot, especially the bound-off edge to the cast-on edge.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful talents!!

2. April 19, 2010 at 12:25 pm Cindy says:

Thank you so much for these videos! I just love your tutorials…it’s so great of you to take the time to show us exactly what to do. I had no idea how to seam the bind-off edge to the cast-on edge. Spud and Chloe has a great representative in you!

3. April 19, 2010 at 12:39 pm Kathy C. says:

Hi Susan!

Thanks so much (as always) for the AWESOME videos! I was just wondering, what camera do you guys use to shoot them on?

Thanks!
    ~ Kathy (Oregon)

4. April 19, 2010 at 12:49 pm chris says:

I Susan-
    The Dream Catcher Baby Blanket looks awesome – I love that the child will have so much texture to explore. I have only done one square, as I have some deadlines on other projects. You may have already answered this, is so sorry I must have missed it…how many squares were you able to get from a skein of sweater? Come to Chicago again soon, just saw that we are on Nina’s blog when you linked for the yarn of Tea Leaves Cardigan. :)

5. April 19, 2010 at 2:41 pm Barb Yerke says:

PERFECT timing. I am just finishing putting the last row of squares on my itty bitty Baby’s Texture Blanket. I had no idea what the wrong side of the blanket was suppose to look like. I sewed them with the mattress stitch.
    Thank you for THIS tutorial. I was thinking of attaching a velour type fabric on the back so the ridges from the mattress stitch wouldn’t show. Now I don’t have to.

Your blanket is lovely.

barb

6. April 21, 2010 at 9:24 am Susan Bates says:

Thank you for more inspiration to finish the project I’ve started 2 years ago after my neice died suddenly. I’m making squares to sew into lapghans for a nursing home near my sisters home. Sara wanted to make everyone that lived there a gift (she had just learned to knit). Life’s daily demands has been delaying me from getting the lapghans done. Thanks so much for sharing these patterns giving me a new push to continue my mission. Lots of squares to go but if I look at it in small squares its not so overwhelming. Only 70 lapghans to go!!

7. April 29, 2010 at 8:01 am Kim Fluck says:

These tutorials are awesome. Over the years I’ve avoided projects where you have to sew lots of pieces together at the end. These videos make that task seem less daunting to me. Thank you. I adore the Spud and Chloe Sweater yarn colors… they are so bright and cheerful. This project is really tempting me. I was thinking this afghan might be a good way to use up bits of yarn from my stash, but the colors in this project are so great I’d love to make this blanket just as you have here. Thanks for another wonderful project!

8. June 4, 2010 at 8:26 am Nancy Ross says:

Thank you for your very clear tutorials. I have been trying to do something out of squares for over four or five years. I have a few squares in different colors and textures in my apartment. Do you have any suggestions about how to arrange colors. Do you think all the colors should be more or less the same degree of lightness/darkness?

9. June 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm laurie says:

This blankie is so awesome, and would bee a joy for any baby. I love your tutorials

10. August 27, 2010 at 10:47 pm Lynn says:

Thanks so much. I needed help with an afghan that I’m putting together. Your videos are great.

11. March 15, 2011 at 8:29 pm Ailbhe says:

Thank you so much for the pattern and tutorials for the dream catcher blanket, I am in the process of finishing a blanket for a friend who is due her baby any day now! I was wondering if there is a tutorial for the border?
    Thanks Again,
    Ailbhe

• March 15, 2011 at 9:08 pm sanderson says:

There is a tutorial for picking up stitches that would also work great for the border. There isn’t a tutorial specifically for the blanket border.
      Thanks for writing in and for letting me know you are making the blanket.

12. May 2, 2011 at 10:17 am joy says:

how did you make the edging for your blanket? thanks!

• May 2, 2011 at 11:06 am sanderson says:

The garter stitch border instructions are included at the end of the pattern.

13. June 9, 2011 at 11:25 pm Anna says:

Hi Susan, thank you for the tutorials. I have recently started knitting my first baby blanket- a bunch of 6″ squares in Cherry Red, Dark Orange, Light Yellow, Lime Green, and Dark blue. All the squares are going to be seed stitch. I’m not currently pregnant but I’m preparing for whenever #2 decides to come along. He/she will be the most spoiled baby of all time, since I’m already knitting stuff for him/her, and we’re not even trying to conceive yet. =) I was really nervous about joining all the squares, especially the cast on and bind off seams, but your videos will be of great help when I’m ready to start joining. Thanks for posting them! Your blanket is really beautiful and if I didn’t have this one already started with all seed stitch squares, I’d definitely use your pattern.

14. December 8, 2011 at 4:49 pm Myron says:

My spouse and i ended up being really delighted when John could finish up his web research from your precious recommendations he acquired while using the web site. It’s not at all simplistic to simply continually be offering points the others might have been selling. We really take into account we now have you to give thanks to for this. The specific illustrations you made, the straightforward blog navigation, the relationships you will give support to instill – it’s many astounding, and it is leading our son in addition to the family reason why this issue is excellent, which is certainly extraordinarily fundamental. Thank you for all!

15. December 8, 2011 at 9:11 pm Tami says:

Sweet internet web site , super pattern , really clean and utilize friendly .

16. December 8, 2011 at 9:55 pm Janella says:

Music started playing anytime I opened this web internet site, so annoying!

17. January 1, 2012 at 7:55 am Rueben Urie says:

Excellent! Your blog has a ton readers. How did you get all of these readers to look at your web site I’m jealous! I’m still acquiring to know all about blogs on the net. I’m going to appear about on your website to get a much better understanding how to get much more visable. Thanks for the assistance!

18. April 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm sanderson says:

Hi Chris,
    You will need two skeins of Sweater in each color, you will have some left after the squares that we will use for the border. Also i may whip up a little stripey hat to go along with the blanket using the left overs when all is said and done.

susan

19. April 19, 2010 at 1:33 pm sanderson says:

A Sony Cyber Shot… it isn’t really that great. I want to get a new (better) camera soon:)

20. April 21, 2010 at 9:44 am sanderson says:

Thank you for telling me that story. I am incredibly sorry for your loss. Keep me posted on your progress and good luck.

21. April 29, 2010 at 8:05 am sanderson says:

Oh, that is so good! Thanks for telling me that.

22. June 4, 2010 at 8:55 am sanderson says:

I don’t really have any suggestions for arranging squares other than what I shared in the video which is if it is a random pattern I try to make sure the different colors are distributed evenly across the blanket.

As far as colors go it depends on the look you are going for, high contrast colors or a more muted tonal look. Both are beautiful and fun.