Mini-Reversible Duck to Bunny – Free Pattern!

I wanted to be sure to get this pattern up in time for you to whip up a few before Easter and the spring season in general. I originally designed the Duck to Bunny toy as a teaching project for a few classes I was holding on my last book tour. It is a very small toy, measuring about 3 inches high, yet the project packs in every skill you need to make all of the toys in my book. It’s the perfect project for anyone interested in tackling some fun toy knitting projects. If you are already familiar with toy knitting techniques, you are set to make a super-fast and cute reversible toy. Now that my tour is over and my teaching is over for a long time I want to share this fun mini-reversible toy with all of you.

The Duck to Bunny is knit up in Spud & Chloë Sweater and will literally take you a couple of short hours to make.

Here is some information you may like to know about the pattern:

Finished measurements: 3 inches tall by 2 inches wide

Yarn:

Spud & Chloë Sweater (55% superwash wool, 45% organic cotton; 100 grams/160 yards) 1 skein each of Ice Cream #7500, Firefly #7505 and a small amount of Pollen #7508

Needles: US size 6 double-pointed needles, set of 4 or size to obtain gauge

Materials:

Small amount of fiberfill

Scissors

Ruler or tape measure

Yarn needle

Black embroidery floss

Everyone loves these little friends. This toy makes the perfect baby, child, or even adult gift this spring. It uses a small amount of yarn so you can use up you leftover Spud & Chloë Sweater. Have fun with this little set of spring time friends.

Isn’t that a happy little face? Proof is in the pudding!

Click here for the link to the Ravelry page for the Mini-Reversible Duck to Bunny!

Click here to download the free pattern for the Mini-Reversible Duck to Bunny!

44 Responses to “Mini-Reversible Duck to Bunny – Free Pattern!”

1. March 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm Patty Pierce says:

Susan….stop it your killing me…..I will be knitting forever! Another GREAT project that is a MUST! Thank you, I love it.

• December 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm dj says:

I’m with you, Patty!!! how can i get anything else done when Susan keeps designing cute followed by cuter??? my grandson (Milo, 5 days old!) needs them all!!!

2. March 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm Patty Pierce says:

Just kidding by the way, PLEASE don’t stop!

3. March 20, 2010 at 12:52 pm Birte Kurth says:

This looks soooo cute! I just have to knit it very soon. Thank you very much for this pattern.

4. March 20, 2010 at 4:44 pm jill says:

Must try to find the time to knit this before Easter …. too cute!!

5. March 20, 2010 at 6:15 pm Sara in WI says:

I’ll be casting on for at least 4 of these cuties to finish for Easter! Thanks for more inspiration!
    TC looks adorable in that picture and I love her outfit. She looks so comfortable!

6. March 20, 2010 at 7:09 pm Kathy says:

Thanks so much for the new pattern. Cute toy being held by a cute kid… too much cuteness for one photo!

7. March 20, 2010 at 7:12 pm Barb Yerke says:

Will there ever be enough hours in the day???????? I am feverishly knitting the Baby’s Textured Blanket, trying to put some big time hours into it. Now you are tempting me with the PERFECT gift for 7 children for Easter. Good Heavens!

barb
    knitting thru the “itty bittys”

8. March 20, 2010 at 7:35 pm Beverly says:

How dear! Thank you!

9. March 20, 2010 at 7:50 pm Suzanne says:

Another great little project!! BTW, love TC’s skirt and her baby right close by. She is such a responsible little Mommy. :)

10. March 21, 2010 at 1:51 am Terrie says:

It’s so cute!! I can’t wait to try it. Thank you for another great pattern :)

11. March 21, 2010 at 5:30 pm Nan Lager says:

Thanks for a great pattern just in time for Easter baskets!

12. March 22, 2010 at 9:53 am paws says:

So cute! But I don’t understand the Finishing instructions. How do I sew the heads together?? Thanks

13. March 22, 2010 at 12:51 pm Christine says:

I am relatively new to “serious knitting” (you know – anything more challenging than a scarf) and I stumbled upon “Ribbit” at a time when I was looking for an idea for a first baby gift for my daughter’s Grade 4 teacher. The mascot of my daughter’s school is a frog named – you guessed it – “Ribbit”. This wee froggie was a delight to knit up and I am now hooked on your blog. My daughters are lined up for knitted toys of their own and I am anxious to get to my local fibre store to get the yarn required for your latest “Duck to Bunny” project. I am addicted to your yarns!

Thank you for your creativity and generosity in providing these patterns to us for free!

14. March 22, 2010 at 6:33 pm Maureen says:

Thank you, once again, for your talent and generosity in sharing this pattern with the world! I’m hooked on your books and patterns (I’ve knit MANY of them!) and can’t wait to make several of these sweet little creatures for several little Easter baskets.

Thanks again for everything…wishing you a most wonderful Easter with your beautiful family!

15. March 23, 2010 at 12:09 am Sandee says:

Last year I made the bunny tail hat for my little niece for Easter. This year I am going to have to make her this toy. How sweet.

Also, can you tell us about the lovely skirt your model is wearing? Did you make it?

16. March 23, 2010 at 12:32 pm Patricia says:

Love the cute pattern, AND the skirt!! I’m diving in and giving it a try! Thanks, you’re awesome!! :)

17. April 1, 2010 at 1:59 am Carol says:

I love this pattern!! Perfect and perfect for Easter and Spring gift giving.

I didn’t see a notation on the bunny tail; is it a 1″ pom or ??? Did I miss that?

18. April 19, 2010 at 8:36 pm Annie says:

I am a novice knitter with only basic skills, but I MUST make this pattern. I do children’s programs at the library where I work and recently based a program on the book Duck! Rabbit! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld. This is the perfect prop for the story. You must read it if you haven’t. Thank you!

19. February 10, 2011 at 7:56 am marti says:

I love your blog and knitted things!

20. February 24, 2011 at 12:56 pm Myrna says:

I can’t figure out how to put these together. Can you help, please?

• February 24, 2011 at 1:27 pm sanderson says:

Myrna,
      Turn one of the toys inside out and place it inside the other toy (which is right side out). Stitch the bottom edges together.

21. March 1, 2011 at 4:34 pm tamarque says:

Oh, this is great. I just came across a reversible amigurumi of a bird in an egg and was thinking to figure out a similar pattern. And here you are with this reversible model. Love it.

22. March 7, 2011 at 11:20 am Nina says:

That is super cute. I love it!

23. March 7, 2011 at 7:07 pm Julie says:

This is such a sweet pattern that surely will be a hit this Easter, as well. I love all patterns and was wondering if your or anyone has used the Blue Sky organic cotton instead of the sweater. If so, did you change needle size?

• March 7, 2011 at 7:24 pm sanderson says:

I find the Sweater and the Blue Sky Worsted cotton to have the exact same gauge. It would be a good substitute.

24. March 16, 2011 at 8:51 pm Diane says:

Hi,

Has anyone tried to knit this adorable little toy? I’m fairly new to knitting, and I’m afraid I’ll botch it all up! How would everyone rate this pattern as far as EASY to DIFFICULT?

Thank you! Love, love, love Spud & Chloe!

25. March 26, 2011 at 6:02 pm Amanda Dittlinger says:

I am teaching myself how to knit just so I can learn how to make cute things like this. I feel like I’m SO far away from it though! I can barely knit a scarf, but I’m only a few weeks into teaching myself. Thanks for more inspiration!

26. May 5, 2011 at 8:46 pm Lindsey says:

So cute!! Two cute animals in one!
    Thank you for sharing! x

27. September 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm Renee says:

Been having problems loading the PDF for this pattern, is it possible to get it sent to me or something?

28. November 10, 2011 at 8:14 pm Ford Dealership Scam Ford says:

Simply want to say your article is as astounding. The clarity on your submit is just great and i could think you’re a professional on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to seize your RSS feed to keep up to date with drawing close post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.

29. November 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm Play Anno1777 says:

Hello my friend! I want to say that this post is amazing, great written and come with almost all important infos. I’d like to look extra posts like this .

30. December 6, 2011 at 7:51 am Bryant Berga says:

I’ll go after comments I disagree with, but I don’t search the destruction of the opinion of those with whom I dont agree.

31. March 22, 2010 at 10:13 am sanderson says:

All you do is take a couple of stitches to attach the heads at the base so the toys don’t pull out or come apart.

32. March 23, 2010 at 4:47 am sanderson says:

I sewed my daughter’s skirt. She picked out all of the fabrics. She loves it.

33. April 1, 2010 at 7:31 am sanderson says:

Oh, I’ll have to look. It is a tiny 1-inch pom-pom with only maybe around 10-12 wraps.