Leaf – Free Pattern!

I am happy to bring you a fun new free pattern today. This pattern is a little different than others I’ve done before. The pattern is for either a scarf out of Spud & Chloë Outer or for a bookmark out of Spud & Chloë Fine. It is the exact same pattern only done in a super bulky weight yarn for the scarf and in a fingering weight yarn for the bookmark. All you change is the size of the needles and the weight of the yarn. You get two completely different projects! I love that.

The other unusual aspect of this pattern for me is that I used a stitch dictionary for the leaf pattern in this design. I haven’t ever done this before but the leaf pattern kept me intrigued. I have discovered this book called, Super Stitches Knitting, written by Karen Hemingway. I have never been very interested in stitch dictionaries until Karen’s book. It is wonderfully creative, has super clear instructions with great photos of the swatches. I don’t know what it is exactly about Super Stitches Knitting that has caught my eye but I highly recommend it!

I knit the scarf version of Leaf using 2 skeins of Outer in the Peat colorway. Any color would be fantastic. Who doesn’t love a great leaf pattern? I used US size 15 needles at 2 stitches per inch.

The scarf measures 4 inches by 76 inches, using up most all of the 2 skeins of Outer.

The bookmark is about 1.5 inches wide and about 10-inches long. I gave this away as a gift last summer so I don’t have the exact measurements for the bookmark. I used US size 2 needles and just a small amount of Fine. This makes for a beautiful bookmark as it is very thin and delicate. I love this little project. What a great use for your left over Fine! Any color in Fine would look great in this pattern as well.

Have fun with your new scarves or bookmarks!

Here is the Ravelry page for Leaf!

Click here to download the free pattern for Leaf!

26 Responses to “Leaf – Free Pattern!”

1. January 4, 2010 at 11:55 am Yolanda Pugh says:

Looks fabulous!! I’m in Tallahassee and the yarn shop here sells Spud and Chloe. I may just have to drop by there and pick up some yarn!

2. January 4, 2010 at 12:07 pm theblondeknitter says:

Wonderful Susan! It provokes thoughts of Springtime for me that are very welcome right about now! :D

3. January 4, 2010 at 2:02 pm Sharon Anson says:

Thank you! What a great idea for a scarf – can’t wait to start knitting it.

4. January 4, 2010 at 3:04 pm Leena says:

Love the leaf pattern also. I found the pattern on http://www.musturs.lv a couple of years ago, when I wanted to knit a Comfort shawl by Sandi Wisehart to my dear friend who was battling cancer. Instead of the straigh edge, I knitted this leaf pattern to the edge of the shawl. (And did a couple of other changes along the way too… ;) )

5. January 5, 2010 at 4:14 pm pelicanknits says:

susan.. I love it.. as all your PATTERNS, as well as Spud and Chloe.. Can’t wait to start the scarf.. need it NOW in chilly Florida!

6. January 6, 2010 at 1:07 pm folksmith says:

finished making the scarf last night. it is a fun and easy pattern. love it!

7. January 10, 2010 at 1:29 pm sharon says:

Why are you slipping purlwise on the SKP, SK2P, and SSK. All my reference guides show slipping knitwise. If you slip purlwise, you either have to bring the yarn to the back (in order to knit) either before you slip the stitch, or across the slipped stitch; so which is correct? Thanks for your help!!

8. January 10, 2010 at 7:07 pm sharon says:

I assume, since you pearled the first two together that we should probably just continue to bind off in pearl; is that what you did?

9. January 14, 2010 at 7:13 am Tara says:

this pattern makes a beautiful boarder for blankets as well,i also added in roses that are done seperately.. but absolutely stunning i get so many compliments.
    Give it a try!

10. January 26, 2010 at 8:47 pm Julie B. says:

I did it! This is the first knitting project I’ve ever done from a pattern. I’ve tried in the past, but have found them so hard to follow. Not this one. It was so easy. I found the yarn through a zip code search on your website. I love the yarn and will be purchasing more. I will also use more of your patterns.

My scarf turned out beautifully. I made it as a thank you gift for my mother in law. I can’t wait to see her response. I also can’t wait to make one for myself. I already know what I’ll be giving for Christmas presents this year!

11. February 9, 2010 at 3:48 pm Sidonie Burton says:

I have made this leaf pattern on the bottom edges of a silk shawl I knitted. It really is just the loveliest embellishment. Thanks for sharing…namaste

12. June 27, 2010 at 11:22 am Cathy S. H. S. says:

This just makes me smile! :)

13. December 17, 2010 at 2:38 am Jackie says:

OMG! Just found this and had to get started–yes, at 1:30 am. I am LOVING this pattern and I’ve only made two leaves so far. Had to stop to comment…and to go to bed. Although this is involved, it’s going to be a quick knit, I know!

14. June 2, 2011 at 8:04 am Angelina says:

just found this pattern on ravelry,
    and came here to try it out, but when I click the download link, it says it’s not there. :o (

any idea where I can find the pattern???

thank you!!!

15. November 28, 2011 at 1:55 am Everette Hohn says:

Be chronically ill . . . and beg for donations, which grow fewer and fewer as time goes on. I don?t really recommend this one.

16. January 6, 2010 at 1:20 pm sanderson says:

Yay!!! I’m glad you enjoyed your Leaf scarf! I did, too.
    susan

17. January 10, 2010 at 1:37 pm sanderson says:

On the ssk I slip knitwise. On the skp, sk2p I slipped purlwise.

That’s how I did it, you can try it the other way to see if you like the results better.

Hope that helps a little:)
    susan

18. January 10, 2010 at 1:39 pm sanderson says:

When you slip purlwise you leave the yarn in the back when you slip.

19. January 10, 2010 at 6:10 pm sharon says:

Thanks bunches!!

20. January 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm sharon says:

Would you please explain (provide more detail) how to do the bind off in row 14?
    P2Tog, bind off 3 stitches, k1, p1, k3 (6 sts)
    P2Tog, then did you k2 and then pass the first over and off, etc. until three (knit) stitches are off the needle?
    Thanks for your help.
    It’s a great pattern!!!

21. January 10, 2010 at 6:44 pm sanderson says:

Okay, Row 14: p2tog (you have one stitch on the right needle). Then bind off 3 stitches starting with the stitch on the right needle. You will have one stitch on the right needle. Then k1, p1, k3. 1 + 5 = 6 stitches.

Hope that helps.
    susan

22. January 10, 2010 at 7:06 pm sharon says:

Thanks – does it matter to your pattern, whether we bind off in knit, or did you use a bind off in pearl?

23. January 10, 2010 at 7:47 pm sanderson says:

You purl the first two together but then I bind off in knit. If it doesn’t say otherwise I always assume to bind off in knit. If there is another stitch pattern it will usually say bind off in purl or in rib or in seed stitch…

24. January 11, 2010 at 5:15 pm sharon says:

Thanks again so very much for all of your help!!

25. January 26, 2010 at 9:24 pm sanderson says:

Yay!!!! Good for you. See, you can really do it! I am glad you are having fun.
    susan