Tiny November Knitalong Part 3

Well, the mystery aspect of our knitalong is over at this point. Our little brown ball has turned into an undressed turkey! I have had such a great response to the knitalong that I will certainly do this again in the near future. Thank you!

The Tiny November Knitalong has also popped up on Ravelry and here is the link. You can check out the other turkeys (the toys, not the other knitters:) as we progress together.

Without further ado, here is the next part of the pattern.

Head:

Starting at the back end of the head with Rootbeer and the double-pointed needles, cast on 9 stitches placing 3 stitches on each of 3 double-pointed needles. Join to work in the round being careful not to twist the stitches. Place a stitch marker on the first stitch.

Rnd 1: knit

Rnd 2: (k1, m1, k1, m1, k1) repeat on each needle (5 sts per needle, 15 sts total)

Rnd 3: knit

Rnd 4: (k1, m1, k3, m1, k1) repeat on each needle (7 sts per needle, 21 sts total)

Rnd 5: knit

Rnd 6: (k1, m1, k5, m1, k1) repeat on each needle (9 sts per needle, 27 sts total)

Rnds 7-12 : knit

Rnd 13: (k1, k2tog) repeat to the end of the round (6 sts per needle, 18 sts total remain)

Rnd 14: (k1, k2tog) repeat to the end of the round (4 sts per needle, 12 sts total remain)

At this point, place the end from the cast on stitches on a yarn needle. Take a few stitches to close the hole. Take a few more stitches to secure. Leave the end on the outside to use later. Stuff the head with fiberfill until firm. Continue stuffing the head as you work to the end.

Switch to Pollen.

Beak:

Continuing on in Pollen.

Rnds 1 and 2: knit

Rnd 3: (k1, k2tog, k1) repeat on each needle (3 sts per needle, 9 sts total remain)

Rnd 4: knit

Rnd 5: (k1, k2tog) repeat on each needle (2 sts per needle, 6 sts total remain)

Finish stuffing the beak and head with fiberfill. Cut the yarn and place the end on a yarn needle. Pull the end through the remaining stitches and pull up tight to close the hole. Pull the end to the inside and trim to stay inside.

Place the end from the cast on stitches on a yarn needle. Pull the end through to the inside and back out on the bottom of the head. Place the head at the front top of the body. Whipstitch the head to the body. Pull the end through to the inside and trim to stay inside.

Eyes:

With a length of Toast threaded on a yarn needle, take a small horizontal straight stitch a few rows above the beak. Then take a tiny vertical straight stitch in the center of the first straight stitch. (See photo.) Pull the ends to the inside and trim to stay inside.

That’s it for today. Now we have a good base to work with and the next part is always the most fun, making your toy come to life. Maybe next time we’ll make some turkey feet and wings. Lastly, we’ll move on to some autumnal-colored feathers for the turkey tail. Can’t wait.

‘Til next time…

9 Responses to “Tiny November Knitalong Part 3”

1. November 2, 2009 at 10:53 am Shelley says:

Lookin’ cute so far!

2. November 2, 2009 at 11:47 am Barb Yerke says:

I was hoping for a TURKEY!!!!!! I am having a blast. My 3 granddaughters are standing around me, watching the little guy come to life. I have a feeling I should be making 4 of these KAL. I will make mine in Spud and Chloe yarn. I need to find a yarn store in my area that carries your yarn and patterns. Can’t wait until tomorrow. Thank goodness you don’t sleep in. I was up at 5:40 am, checking your blog. Didn’t wait too long.

barb in MI

3. November 2, 2009 at 9:44 pm IBAmyB says:

Yay! I guessed right. Most of my Aussie friends couldn’t figure it out (no Thanksgiving here, and November is Springtime in the southern hemisphere), but a lady who grew up in Canada guessed it right away. ;)

I am making this for my mom. My parents usually host the family Thanksgiving dinner, and Mom will appreciate it’s cuteness.

Thank you for another great pattern, Susan!

4. November 2, 2009 at 10:15 pm Rachel says:

Whew! Caught up!

Tom’s lookin’ mighty plump already…

5. November 3, 2009 at 7:48 am Kelly says:

Hey, this is soooo much fun!!! Much better than housework!! And I’ll be able to contribute something for the Thanksgiving table after all!

6. November 3, 2009 at 9:03 am Barb Yerke says:

MORE!!!!! More!!!!!!!! more!!!!!!!! I am finding myself stopping by the computer every few minutes, to see if the next group of stitches are posted.
    I watch my 4 granddaughters Mon-Fri, while my children work. The girls are Luiza 6 (adopted from Siberia), Ella 5, Mia 3, and Neve 1. My daughter Sarah, who is mother to Luiza, we all live together. What a joy, watching this precious little girl grow and change. She is falling in love with knitting and crocheting, watching me make socks, dishclothes, blankets, sweaters, and TOYS. ( Ravelry, I am yerkeb ).
    I am anxiously waiting to buy your new book. You are going to be in my state Friday and Saturday. I wanted to come to your book signing, SO BAD, but, I don’t think finances will allow it. I hadn’t seen the animals that are in it until yesterday. Luiza and I went crazy. I will be making them all, ESPECIALLY, the sheep.
    Have a wonderful time in Michigan.

barb in MI

7. November 8, 2009 at 9:58 pm janice Kobis says:

i am loving it . such a fun pattern thank you

8. December 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm Alyse Canellas says:

Many politicians and pundits warned us that the health responsibility emend (HCR) legislation that principled became law resolve disprove America. Guidance bureaucrats will cover over trim be responsible for decisions, we were told. The dear and enfeebled would be hauled away around decease panels. Caboodle far the system we welcome our medical trouble will shift, and change-over drastically, they said.

9. December 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm Jonathan Frenette says:

It has been a very long time since we have seen anything written like this article. Obviously, creative and enthusiastic writing is not gone forever.