The Spud & Chloë Color Kit

Before I share the new Spud & Chloë yarn colors I want to share the Color Kit with you. One thing I always hear from people is how innovative the Blue Sky Alpacas and Spud & Chloë packaging and marketing is and I absolutely agree. Yarn shops that carry the Spud & Chloë line will have this Color Kit at their shop. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I got my Color Kit and honestly, it is constantly by my side while I work. You can get the feeling and a quick overview of the entire line just by opening that lid.

To start off, the kit is housed in a pencil box which immediately evokes childhood memories for me. I always loved my school pencil box. When I received my S & C Color Kit, I remember being nervous when I first opened the lid because I already liked the box so much I didn’t know if it could get any better…

… and it did! Inside the box you get a multitude of inspirational goodies.

Inside you get three pencils each wrapped and loaded with the three yarn lines for Spud & Chloë, Fine (top), Outer (middle) and Sweater (bottom). The ends of the pencils are stopped with a big eraser and a rubber band to secure the yarns. Then each color is wrapped with a tiny label with the color name and the color number. Each weight of yarn is represented by a different color tag which is carried throughout the entire line in the patterns and yarn tags. I love this feature because it makes it easy to identify the yarns quickly and to help organize things like the patterns. The Outer is labeled with the Sequoia color, the  Sweater is labeled with the Splash color and Fine is labeled with the Clementine color.

It’s this attention to detail that is so impressive in everything Blue Sky Alpacas creates. The effort to create high quality products that are easy to use and understand runs deeply throughout all of the lines.

The next thing in the pencil box are these fantastic little pattern boxes made of natural cardboard. Each box represents one of the yarn lines. Inside are cards that show each of the patterns available for the specific weight of yarn. The cards have a photo of the project on one side and all of the necessary details on the other. The boxes leave plenty of room to add more pattern cards as the line grows as time goes by. It’s just so clever and fun.

Lastly, you get the skein tags in the pencil box, one for each yarn line. Each tag has all of the important information for the yarn. Things like yardage, color number, suggested gauge and needle sizes, weight and fiber content. I feel like these tags are like collector items. Needless to say I have a large collection of the tags going already. I will have to do something fun with them in the future, maybe some sort of decoupage. I can’t part with them. Spud and Chloë are really the cutest characters in town.

Anyway, I wanted to share this important component of the Spud & Chloë line with you today. My pencil box Color Kit is at the ready when I am working on any Spud & Chloë project. Ask your local yarn shop owner if you can take a look at their Color Kit because it is an effective way to get a feel for the entire line of Spud & Chloë products. The kit captures the fun and retro elements in the line and it inspires me to no end.

I’ll be back in no time with the new yarn colorways (and the new hat pattern)!

‘Til then…..

12 Responses to “The Spud & Chloë Color Kit”

1. November 22, 2009 at 10:27 am tricotinange( solange) says:

I so love this Spud and Chloë colour kit …what a great idea.
    Im from Montreal, Quebec in Canada ..where can I get this.
    Thank you.
    C’est formidable!

2. November 22, 2009 at 11:22 am christine m. east of toronto says:

OMIGOD! looooooove this! where can we get it in the toronto ontario canada area? and most importantly… are the chicken patterns included in one of the those sweet little boxes?? :)

3. November 22, 2009 at 3:36 pm Terrie says:

I love the color kit! It’s so fun; what a creative way to show the yarns and patterns :)

4. November 23, 2009 at 7:14 am Terri Paulson-Sasaki says:

I love the pencil boxes, it is such a cute idea. Especially, since I am an elementary school teacher. I really think they should sell the color boxes retail. I have to order all my Spud & Chloe online and it is very hard to tell the color on websites. The three websites that I look at, all show a different tone to the yarn. I haven’t ordered some of the yarn because I wasn’t sure of the color. I had ordered the yarn for the flap hat (love the colors), but they looked different in person.

5. December 3, 2009 at 3:16 pm MaryLou says:

Susan, just to echo some of the earlier comments, is there any possibility Blue Sky would consider selling the color kits as consumer (retail) items, perhaps even add them to the Products section of the website? I think it would really help knitters to get creative with the beautiful color combinations in a way that is prohibited in online buying. Another problem is that many LYSes only carry VERY limited amounts or weights of the yarn. I’ve had a very hard time finding Spud and Chloe to look at/buy in San Francisco, which is not a particularly small city.

6. December 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm patonslake says:

I am also from San Francisco and I ditto what MaryLou says. I have yet to touch any of the Spud & Chloe yarns and will be calling Spud & Chloe (Blue Sky) tomorrow morning about purchasing the kit!

7. December 16, 2009 at 12:12 pm Terry Clark says:

I have fallen in love with Spud and Chloe yarn and the patterns, especially nice that you share free patterns. The colors are amazing and fun. I made the Braided scarf while helping hospice take care of my mother in law. I wore it once to work and a coworker wanted it to give to her daughter for Christmas so I gave it to her. I buy my Spud and Chloe from Jimmy Beans Wool. They are great too. I’m not that experienced at knitting but I’m making hats for my kids and grandkids for Christmas. Please put in in for the drawing. I say.”The more Spud and Chloe items the better”.

8. December 16, 2009 at 6:22 pm josey harvey says:

I love Spud and Chloe and am so glad that that my LYS carries it. I have made only Ribbits and the ribbed hat so far but I am eyeing the pixie poncho. It is too cute–I may make myself a grown up version!

9. December 17, 2009 at 7:52 am Carla says:

I am a bag junkie- so yes please, add me to the begging group!

10. October 7, 2011 at 3:08 am Wymiana opon says:

Very good blog post, very helpful. I wonder why the other experts of this sector don’t notice this. You should continue your posting. I am sure, you’ve a big readers’ base now!

11. December 3, 2009 at 6:30 pm sanderson says:

I will pass your comment on to the powers that be and see what they say:)

12. December 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm sanderson says:

I have a note in to the owner to see if they will be selling color kits and pencil bags… will keep you posted.