Rambling – Free Pattern

rambling-cement

I am excited to offer you Rambling today as a free downloadable pattern. The pattern is fun because you are in charge of placing your own cable twists. There is no rhyme or reason, when you feel one of the three columns of knit stitches on the right side of the scarf needs a twist you throw one in. You’re the designer and no two versions of Rambling will ever be the same.

When I started knitting my own Rambling I didn’t want to be bothered with counting a single row or repeat. I wanted to see where the road would take me. You will enjoy making this scarf like no other because it will hold your interest all the way to the end. It is exciting to see how the various columns turn out.

rambling-on-form

The reason Rambling is the perfect first cable project for any level of knitter, even the newest of the new, is because the cable twist is the easiest sort of cable and choosing when to place the twist gives the knitter an understanding of how spacing the twists will give different looks to each column. It is an instant and simple study of easy cables.

evan-in-rambling

Here is what you will need:

Spud & Chloë Sweater, 2 skeins ( I used Rootbeer but any color or even stripes would be fantastic!)

US size 9 needles ( or size to give a 4 stitches per inch gauge)

Cable needle

Tape measure

Note: I made my Rambling for a man. I think a scarf around 62-inches is the perfect length for an average height man so I stopped at 62-inches. If I were making this scarf for me or for a woman I would have kept going until I used up all of the 2 skeins of yarn.

For the back story on Rambling click here.

Have fun, Knitters! You are going to absolutely love knitting and wearing and gifting this lush, scrumptious cable scarf. I can’t wait to see how your versions of Rambling turn out!

Click here to download free Rambling pattern

17 Responses to “Rambling – Free Pattern”

1. August 8, 2009 at 9:56 am Kate says:

Thanks for sharing this fantastic pattern!

2. August 8, 2009 at 6:28 pm Pat says:

I cannot wait to begin! Thank you, Susan.

3. August 9, 2009 at 4:21 pm Jackie P says:

this will be my first cable scarf, can’t wait to try! Thanks!

4. August 9, 2009 at 6:20 pm Nadia S says:

What a wonderful pattern. It’s definitely going to be my next pattern. Such great texture and it looks cozy.

5. August 10, 2009 at 9:24 am Athena P says:

I might finally get to try cables…I am soooooo excited!

6. September 19, 2009 at 8:30 am Sharon says:

Hi, I love the Rambling scarf but can’t seem to get the pattern to download. Can you help?
    Thank you so much for all of the beautiful inspiration.

Love from Texas!

7. October 23, 2009 at 2:25 pm Tabby says:

Absolutely beautiful. I am only concerned that it is a bit on the narrow side for a man. The man I am knitting this for is larger than average and I worry that 5″ wide will look less manly on him, so I am going to attempt to knit this with an extra row of cables. I think this will make it close to 7″ wide so wish me luck.

8. August 21, 2010 at 2:19 pm Maria Jackson says:

Love the scarf but I think I like the Michigan shirt better. LOL
    Go Blue!!!
    Maria J.

9. January 18, 2011 at 5:50 am laura says:

I love this scarf! it was my first time cabling and such a fun way to start. The results were really nice. Thanks for sharing!

10. September 10, 2011 at 3:41 pm Cari says:

I knit this scarf with a wool/alpaca blend and my finished product ended up curling like a tube. I blocked it, but it just curled in again. I just purchased the Spud and Chloe sweater yarn and intend to knit another scarf (I love the pattern) but don’t want the same results. Could you give me any pointers so that my finished product doesn’t resemble a large paper towel roll?!

11. September 19, 2011 at 1:43 am toko cctv says:

I have read a few just right stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much attempt you put to create the sort of fantastic informative site.

12. November 15, 2011 at 11:09 pm Antonio Farrelly says:

Genuinely insightful thanks, I’m sure your trusty followers may possibly want a whole lot more stories such as this continue the great work.

13. December 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm Shanta Hayes says:

Great pattern… Love the models t-shirt!! Go Blue!!

14. September 19, 2009 at 11:12 am sanderson says:

Oh no. I just went through and clinked on the links and it loaded right up. Could you try again? It doesn’t seem to be an issue on this end as far as I can see. Please let me know if you still can’t get it to go.

susan

15. October 23, 2009 at 2:44 pm sanderson says:

Hi Tabby,
    I wish you luck! This will be simple to make wider, just add a couple of cables.

If you look at the scarf on my son, who is an average sized-man about 6 feet tall, it really looks fine as far as the width goes, in my eyes at least. I could see especially on a larger man that a little more width would be good.

That’s the fun part about making a scarf is that you can make it any width or length you’d like without much trouble at all.

Thanks for writing.